Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL extension registry

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Gregg Tavares (wrk) <gman@google.com> wrote:
> Should these extensions be marked as "draft" given that not even the WebGL
> spec is official yet?

Hmm, it looks like the "Khronos Working Draft" banner might have
gotten lost during recent CSS changes. Vlad, could we add that back?
(Or did I miss it during the initial commit?)

> Also, is there any particular reason the specs limit texImage2D and
> texSubImage2D to only using ArrayBufferView? Given all the conversion that
> happens already for texImage2D with img/video/canvas it seems like it would
> be really simple for implementations to support conversions to float and
> half float like they already convert to 4_4_4_4, 5_6_5 and 5_5_5_1

It's not completely trivial and would double the number of code paths
in some areas. Also, until browsers have built-in support for high
dynamic range image formats, these conversions will just waste space.

What image formats are supported by browsers are not defined. Any browser can add any formats it likes.

For these reasons I think this should be left to a future revision of
the extension.

That seems like a mistake to me. Put it now and things should just work. It would suck if some browser decided to add support for some HDR image format but the WebGL spec requires that it NOT work.

-Ken