Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL extension registry

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Gregg Tavares (wrk) <gman@google.com> wrote:
> Should these extensions be marked as "draft" given that not even the WebGL
> spec is official yet?

Hmm, it looks like the "Khronos Working Draft" banner might have
gotten lost during recent CSS changes. Vlad, could we add that back?
(Or did I miss it during the initial commit?)

> Also, is there any particular reason the specs limit texImage2D and
> texSubImage2D to only using ArrayBufferView? Given all the conversion that
> happens already for texImage2D with img/video/canvas it seems like it would
> be really simple for implementations to support conversions to float and
> half float like they already convert to 4_4_4_4, 5_6_5 and 5_5_5_1

It's not completely trivial and would double the number of code paths
in some areas. Also, until browsers have built-in support for high
dynamic range image formats, these conversions will just waste space.
For these reasons I think this should be left to a future revision of
the extension.

-Ken