Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL extension registry

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Steve Baker <steve@sjbaker.org> wrote:
> Damn!  And I'd *just* finished writing my shadow code!  :-)
>
> I think this is a great thing - but it's a bit of a change in direction
> isn't it?  I thought the plan was to have no extensions in v1.0 ?

No. The concern was over whether these extensions would be *part of*
the 1.0 spec. Separating them into their own registry resolved that
concern.

> Also, doesn't this open up the whole lack-of-anonymity can-of-worms again?

Perhaps, but there are always cost/benefit tradeoffs. In this case, I
think the availability of floating-point textures as a WebGL extension
is so incredibly useful that it dwarfs any concerns over exposing one
more bit of information that could be used to identify individuals.
(Also, floating-point textures are likely to be supported on all
hardware supporting WebGL, so this extension's availability is very
unlikely to expose additional information.)

Note though that this is an extension, so you'll still need a fallback
path if you expect your code to run on a WebGL implementation that
doesn't support it.

-Ken