Re: [Public WebGL] libKTX ETC software decompressor license revised

On 04/12/2010 09:17, Chris Marrin wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2010, at 6:56 PM, Mark Callow wrote:
>
>> ... and/or (iii) compression and/or decompression to implement a Khronos specification.
>> It is now clear that the code can be used in WebGL implementations, even those built on top of D3D, and for a KTX viewer. So there should be no problem for browser vendors to use the code from libktx.
>>
>> Hopefully this removes the last impediment to including ETC & KTX support in WebGL, most likely in the next version.
> IANAL, but it seems like this will be a poison pill for W3C adoption. We should pass this by someone who understands such things.
I really want to understand why you think that. KTX is a Khronos
specification so use of the code in connection with implementing KTX
readers or writers is unencumbered. Similarly WebGL is a Khronos
specification so use in implementing WebGL is unencumbered. I cannot
conceive of any use within a web browser that is not one of the things
covered in items i, ii, and iii of the clause.

I believe Ericsson's legal staff understood what we were requesting and
this is the legal language they felt provided the necessary rights while
retaining those they wished to retain.

Regards

    -Mark

begin:vcard