----- Original Message -----
> > I think I won't write to any firefox list for now, instead I'll just
> > say
> > as I wrote in a previous email and wait for, say, 1 year to see if
> > webgl
> > apps are actually using the RENDERER/VERSION strings (since WebKit
> > is
> > giving this information). In 1 year, we'll have more concrete
> > information
> > to base decisions on, and it'll still be time to get things right
> > for 2015
> > ;-)
>
> But a year is plenty enough for potential big-time users of WebGL to
> write
> it off as useless - I don't think we can just shrug this decision off.
>
> Aside from anything else, waiting to see what'll happen isn't going to
> work because not doing it affects how developers behave.

Fair enough. Do you have a better suggestion? I need a solution that preserves the user's privacy. Remember the amount of noise that Evercookie made when it was released.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evercookie
The privacy issue that we're discussing here is potentially worse than that as, given enough bits of unique user info leaked, it allows to build a server-side "Evercookie" associated to a unique browser/computer id. I am inexperienced in the Web world so would be very happy if one explained me how my fears are unfounded, otherwise I am very interested in doing what I can to limit the possibilities of this happening, and consider this a priority over allowing web pages to adjust their rendering to the graphics card model faster than we can update browsers.

Benoit