Actual timings on the user's machine are indeed the gold standard for performance measurements.  However, slamming the user's machine for a few seconds before they get to see the goodies is not so nice.  Whereas a table look-up based on some strings can be practically instantaneous.

Another benefit of having a site like webgl-bench to aggregate performance measurements and index by graphics card is that it can help users diagnose their own performance issues.  Also it can point users towards higher-performing browsers/OS's/hardware, and motivate vendors to improve their performance.  If it's difficult to tag measurements by GPU, the data will be less complete and less useful.  We at least have browser and OS info via userAgent, but for WebGL performance the GPU is by far more important.

-T