----- Original Message -----
> >> If we have to do something - I'd prefer a simple check-box in
> >> Preferences/Privacy saying:
> >>
> >> [ ] Hide graphics card/driver details from online applications.
> >> (WARNING: May significantly degrade graphics performance)
> >
> > I would essentially be OK with this, provided that the default is to
> > hide.
>
> I was going to say the opposite. After all, aren't Cookies and
> JavaScript
> both enabled by default...this is a similar problem.

Cookies can be removed. And in private browsing mode, content can't access them.

Javascript can only become privacy-sensitive if we allow it to, which is exactly what we're discussing here!

I think I won't write to any firefox list for now, instead I'll just say as I wrote in a previous email and wait for, say, 1 year to see if webgl apps are actually using the RENDERER/VERSION strings (since WebKit is giving this information). In 1 year, we'll have more concrete information to base decisions on, and it'll still be time to get things right for 2015 ;-)

Cheers,
Benoit