Given that apps that are pushing the edge of perf are all going to have different focus areas, can those apps just perform some timing at initialization time and decide for themselves?  For example, the difference between using software-emulated vertex shader texture fetches and using a different path should be very noticeable with some judicious use of glFinish().  The app can even cache that data using local storage on the client so that it doesn't have to do it each time.

I think that the argument here for performance reasons has a very reasonable workaround; working around rendering bugs is a different issue though, but one that I think lies in the hands of the WebGL implementation.

    - Vlad