On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 00:04, Thatcher Ulrich <tu@tulrich.com> wrote:
> My feeling is that the RENDERER string is extremely useful to WebGL
> app devs, and of only slight benefit to people who want to fingerprint
> users (they already have better sources of entropy as highlighted in
> the EFF paper). ÂSo I hope we keep a useful RENDERER.

A detailed RENDERER with hardware model **and driver version** would
provide quite a lot of "uniqueness".
Maybe a way to make RENDERER useful while not giving too much bits
would be to return the hardware maker and model but strip out driver
information?

It still provides quite a good information about the hardware
capabilities and its relative strengths/weaknesses.
In case slowness is detected high-end applications making use of this
kind of sniffing can recommend upgrading to latest drivers (in fact
that's something WebGL-enabled browsers should do whenever possible).

Regards,