> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Steve Baker <steve@sjbaker.org> wrote:
>> Is there really any significant benefit in hiding the true information?
>>
>> For application authors, there is immense value to be had from being
>> able to determine which card and drivers the user has - both at run time
>> (so the application can work around bugs) and in order to provide more
>> accurate feedback when someone emails you to say "I just get a blank
>> screen" - and then has no clue as to what card and driver they really
>> have...making any chance of diagnosis almost zero.
>
> +1
>
> I have been contemplating expanding the webgl-bench project so that it
> can aggregate some statistics on the performance of different graphics
> features on different user agents and renderers, for use by authors of
> WebGL apps.  This will be a lot more useful if the VERSION and
> RENDERER strings return actual information.
>
> -T

If the worst came to the worst - I bet you could come close to knowing the
card types by aggregating the results of all of the glGet results...which
is why I think that providing a good VERSION/RENDERER return doesn't
significantly help the bad guys.  But lack of knowledge about the exact
driver version number is a pain - and you're unlikely to be able to
extract that from the glGet results.

Still, making a "fingerprint" from those glGet results would be a useful
addition to webgl-bench if we end up without meaningful VERSION/RENDERER
strings.
  -- Steve