On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:52, Mark Callow <callow_mark@hicorp.co.jp> wrote:
> I care very strongly about privacy and anonymity but I can't see how
> revealing the Âtype of OpenGL implementationÂin one's computer affects that
> in any way. If the info. included a serial number, I'd certainly be worried.
> As it is, what is the potential problem you see?
> Please explain more.

You can have a look at https://panopticlick.eff.org/ for instance to
see how information exposed by your browser makes you traceable.

Every new "user-agent"-like feature will give more and more bits of
uniqueness, at a certain point the aggregation of all this information
would effectively allow to create a permanent serial number tied to an
user or handful of users.

Regards,