On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:
> [...]

Yeah, I think this comes down to balancing a small amount of
information disclosure, vs. the benefit of apps having access to that
info.

For example, webgl-bench outputs the following (from page at
http://webgl-bench.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/js/index.html):

userAgent = Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_4; en-US)
AppleWebKit/534.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/7.0.526.0 Safari/534.8
gl.VERSION = OpenGL ES 2.0 Chromium
gl.VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation
gl.RENDERER = NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M OpenGL Engine
gl.SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION = OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0 Chromium

The userAgent contains my PC's OS + version and browser version, while
gl.RENDERER gives the make and model of my video card.

So the gl.RENDERER does reveal slightly more about me than just the
userAgent.  Personally it does not seem like a problem to me (it seems
like there are much more effective ways for web pages to identify me)
but this is not my area of expertise.

The info will be absolutely invaluable to some webgl apps (probably
the more elaborate ones).  I liken it to userAgent -- in an ideal
world, nobody would ever need to sniff userAgent, but in the real
world it is sometimes crucial.  For 3D, the variability of hardware
speed is large, even assuming perfect feature parity.

-T