Re: [Public WebGL] Minor update to default clear values

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2010, at 6:18 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>
>> Per discussion on today's WebGL conference call (and because Zhenyao
>> Mo is cleaning this up in WebKit right now) I've clarified the values
>> used when clearing the drawing buffer after resize in Section 2.2. In
>> particular, the clear depth is the default 1.0 rather than 0.0 as was
>> implied. Please send any comments or concerns to the list.
>
> Why isn't it cleared to the current clearDepth()? In fact, shouldn't we clear all the buffers to their current clear values? I think that would allow more opportunity to avoid extra clears when the author performs the inevitable clear() operation.

The rationale when we first introduced this language, I think, was to
have repeatable behavior not related to context state. If we're
optimizing away this implicit clear then it doesn't matter what the
clear values are. However aside from that I'm agnostic to exactly what
values are used. Using the current values would require less code in
implementations.