Re: [Public WebGL] Re: double-buffering and back buffer preservation

On Nov 18, 2010, at 5:39 PM, Cedric Vivier wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 03:38, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> - A context attribute will be added, provisionally called preserveDrawbuffers, which will default to false.
>> - When a present occurs:
>>  - if preserveDrawbuffers is FALSE: the color/stencil/depth buffers are set to the default values.
>
> What are "default values" ?
> Doesn't this block usage of EXT_discard_framebuffer as it would
> require an additional/unnecessary "clear" ?
>

>>  - if preserveDrawbuffers is TRUE: the color/stencil/depth are untouched.
>
> Do I understand correctly that the context attribute would be writable
> at any time?
> It introduces a precedent as all other attributes are creation-time
> only, not that I object strongly to that but looks a bit out of place
> imho.

No, it can only be set on the call to getContext() like the others.

> How about enable/disable a new capability enum PRESERVE_DRAW_BUFFERS_WEBGL ?

We considered that. But it would significantly complicate implementations and in some cases would make it impossible to do some drawing buffer optimizations.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com