Re: [Public WebGL] Re: double-buffering and back buffer preservation

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:07, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Doesn't this block usage of EXT_discard_framebuffer as it would
>> require an additional/unnecessary "clear" ?
>
> No, because that clear can happen lazily if no user clear happens before the next draw call.

As Mark pointed out there is still many use cases that would force an
unnecessary clear, thus limiting the advantages of discarding buffers
wrt memory bandwidth usage.
To avoid this could we just forbid readPixels on default framebuffer
when preserveDrawBuffers is false?

>> Do I understand correctly that the context attribute would be writable
>> at any time?
>>
>> It introduces a precedent as all other attributes are creation-time
>> only, not that I object strongly to that but looks a bit out of place
>> imho.
>
> It's no different than the other attributes; it's requestable at creation time only.

Is it really necessary to make it creation time only?

The added flexibility of an enable/disable cap would allow to use the
optimized path all the time but still allow an application to
potentially request buffer preservation for small periods of time (eg.
screenshot, incremental rendering, accumulation effect, ...).

Regards,