Re: [Public WebGL] double-buffering and back buffer preservation

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 05:56, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
> 5) Like #1 (do nothing), but add a context attribute for the author to indicate whether readback from the window/canvas buffer will ever be done. ÂIf it's set to true, then dimply disallow readPixels/toDataURL when framebuffer 0 is bound (or have them always return all black).

I really like (5).
Sounds like an easy way for the browser to use performance tricks
without making things more complex for the developers. I would in fact
recommend this attribute to default to true so that performance is
improved on most apps (not so many WebGL apps might require
readPixels/toDataURL imho).
Cool thing about it for instance is that the browser is then free to
use ext_discard_framebuffer when available, which on mobile devices
provides huge savings of memory bandwidth (eg. on iDevices you can
easily get +20% (!) FPS just by one call).

Regards,