On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 23:24, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
>> For instance, outside of pure WebGL related issues, such a resize may
>> significantly change how mouse controls work if not taken into account
>> ... typically relative mouse motion/position is given related to
>> canvas dimensions [manually or by libraries such as jQuery]. Even so,
>> handling it might make the application unusable anyways because of the
>> great loss in horizontal precision in rendering.
>
> Such a scenario would require the author to realize that the buffer is not the requested size and adapt the code accordingly. I don't think that's a bad scenario.

In theory, yes. However I don't find realistic to expect all (or even
most) WebGL authors and general-purpose Javascript libraries to
complicate their control handling (among other more WebGL-ish
concerns) for the unlikely and non-obvious event of back buffer
resizing. Even if they try to do so, it might be impossible for some
apps to deal in a user-friendly way with such arbitrary loss of
precision in only one dimension (eg. a FPS game).

I fear that instead of improving user experience, prioritizing
"display something at all costs" over "display as developer intended"
will give many inconsistent/undesirable results and add burden on all
WebGL developers for something that could be better handled on a
case-per-case basis as they see fit (including, of course, by WebGL
libraries).

At worst, this automatic backbuffer downsizing feature should relate
to a new member in WebGLContextAttribute so that it can be disabled
and overridden by other mechanisms.

Regards,