On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 06:12,  <tomi.aarnio@nokia.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I think I'd want canvas resizing to throw an exception if it fails. If there's no explicit error, it'll be easy to think that everything is fine, then later bump into some weird artifacts with no obvious cause.
>
> If we let implementations clamp the canvas arbitrarily, then what if the app is trying to create a texture that's too large - would it be OK to clamp that, too? (Sure, that's about creating a new object vs. resizing an existing one, but it's a reasonable analogy nonetheless.)

If I understood correctly, the proposal is to also resize the back
buffer at new context creation (provided the host canvas is large
enough), which makes it a very reasonable analogy indeed.

I'm not sure how silently resizing a requested 10,000x500 canvas into
a 2048x500 will help in most cases, the rendering could be look very
different than what it was intended to be, nonwithstanding plenty of
other issues that may arise with some calculations, especially in
highly interactive WebGL content, because developer likely won't test
such aspect ratios.
For instance, outside of pure WebGL related issues, such a resize may
significantly change how mouse controls work if not taken into account
... typically relative mouse motion/position is given related to
canvas dimensions [manually or by libraries such as jQuery]. Even so,
handling it might make the application unusable anyways because of the
great loss in horizontal precision in rendering.

Regards,