Re: [Public WebGL] Why have readpixels support 5_6_5?

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 06:49, Steve Baker <steve@sjbaker.org> wrote:
> I think it would be better to ship with just a single format in the
> first release of WebGL - we can extend that later - rather than further
> delay the 1.0 specification.
> But if we ARE going to ship just one format - it had better be 8/8/8/8
> because we don't want to force the API to throw away good data on
> desktop platforms that support 8/8/8/8 natively.

+1.
Also I don't buy the argument that the current behavior with
implementation color read format and
type will not introduce unnecessary incompatibilities, we did not
include in 1.0 more useful/interesting features for the exact same
reasons, we should try to keep consistent about this for a rock-solid
1.0 release.

> Could we also specify what is put into the low order bits when the
> format is padded? ÂAll Zeroes? ÂZeroes in RGB and ones in A? ÂThe high
> order bits replicated into the low order bits? (So 0000 => 00000000 and
> 1111 => 11111111). ÂIt definitely makes a difference...and for
> application developers, not knowing is the biggest problem!

This is already fully defined by ES 2.0 spec (section 4.3).

Regards,