The limit is the maximum size of a renderbuffer image when using an FBO. A canvas backing store is a renderbuffer image. The required minimum maximum size for ES is, er.., 1x1. I don't know if any implementations are actually that limited. In GL 3.2 it is 1024x1024. Again I have no idea if any implementations are restricted to this minimum. In GL 4.1 it is 16384x16384.

MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS must always be greater than or equal to max(display size, max renderbuffer image size) so a browser can always use the GL for compositing to a full screen window surface.

Regards

-Mark