On 09/28/2010 01:30 PM, Chris Marrin wrote:

canvas. Throwing an exception during canvas resizing is undesirable
since the entire web site is likely to stop working, where it could
"mostly work" otherwise.
What happens to performance when the canvas is resized?

I would think that there are three issues that are most likely to affect authors - degradation of image quality, visual appearance *, and redraw time (ie 'frame rate')

I suspect that the most votes would likely favor minimizing redraw time (certainly is for me!)

* By 'visual appearance' I mean "not messing up the carefully artistically created display layout"

The difference is that, with 2D Canvas, the size of the drawing area is always the specified canvas width and height. That wouldn't be the case here. I agree that asynchronous handling of the event would be problematic. But I still think we should fail and have a function call which tells whether or not the drawing buffer is valid. That allows synchronous handling.

I think that I'd favor automatic resizing if its not a huge perfomance hit and asynchronous handling of notification. If you ARE bothered you will be prepared to handle the event. Better than checking things all over the place. By definition if you aren't bothered you won't care. I agree with Ken's point that better it runs not quite right than not at all.

Alan

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com