IMHO, there needs to be a distinction between opening an overly-large
web context - and resizing one after creation.

In the former case, it would be nice if WebGL could do the best it can
to meet your demands - just as it does if you demand (say) antialiassing
and it can't do it.  Of course we must provide some means (such as
querying the canvas.height/width) to find out that you didn't get what
you wanted.   This allows simple applications to be as uncomplicated as
possible and that's important for widespread adoption.

In the latter case - which is a more sophisticated operation, producing
an error message and either refusing to do the resize or producing the
largest allowed size would seem to be the simplest thing...again, with a
way to query what you have left after all the fuss has died down.

I'd like to avoid loss-of-context stuff at all costs.

The OpenGL spec completely ducks the issue of context creation and
management - that's the job of the wgl and glX libraries - and those
aren't portable.

  -- Steve