I've read over the thread and I agree that we can't hide the actual size from the author. But I don't think we can change canvas.width and canvas.height either. Read/write attributes in the DOM are typically not changed by the system from what the author set. It might even be prohibited in the DOM spec.

If so, I think we can deal with it cleanly. We already have a context error event which we can use to notify the author that the context could not be created and we can indicate that it was because the size was too large and return the max width and height so the author can make another try. We can also specify a minimum supported canvas size (1024x1024 or something) so authors can avoid having to handle the event if they stay within that size.