Re: [Public WebGL] The Newly Expanded Color Space Issue

It's time to bring this issue to a conclusion. We can't make WebGL programs correct, and we can't tell authors that we will only accept mathematically correct WebGL programs. What we CAN do is to give authors sufficient tools (given the current constraints) to give them the flexibility to do what they want with WebGL. As Adrienne and I have pointed out the only things we can do are:

1) Manipulate the color space of images being loaded with texImage2D. Choices are:

	a) Convert all images to sRGB always
	b) Convert all images to Linear always
	c) Give a choice of which conversion to perform

(with all choices, we also need a way to turn off all conversion and get raw pixels into the engine)

2) Manipulate the color space of the drawing buffer as it is composited with the page. Choices are:

	a) Always convert the drawing buffer as if it is sRGB into the device color space used by the compositor
	b) Always convert the drawing buffer as if it is Linear into the device color space used by the compositor
	c) Give a choice of which conversion to perform

I can live with any combination of the above. Currently my first choice would be 1c and 2c, with the default being sRGB for both. Please don't criticize those choices as wrong, just make your own choice.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com