Re: [Public WebGL] The Newly Expanded Color Space Issue

 On 07/09/2010 19:49, stephen white wrote:

> On 07/09/2010, at 7:57 AM, Chris Marrin wrote:
>> So if I consider my drawing buffer to be sRGB, I would need a value greater than 128,128,128 to get a display of 50% grey. That gives you a greater range of dark colors, which I believe is Thatcher's argument. But figuring out what pixel value to use to get 50% grey requires extra computations, which I believe is Steve's argument.
>>
>> Is there more to it than that?
>
> No, other than the possibility of disregarding the sRGB pixel value if it's just going to be passed through (eg, not used in mathematical calculations but only as a sampler). That would indicate the colour space should be sRGB while allowing linear data input.
It indicates no such thing. You cannot treat a pixel in isolation or
even a whole texture in isolation. They contribute to the scene and
every pixel must be interpreted the same way for correctness.

It is perfectly fine to support sRGB input and output spaces but the
computation space ought to be linear. with appropriate conversions done
between spaces.

Regards

    -Mark

begin:vcard