Re: [Public WebGL] The Newly Expanded Color Space Issue

On Sep 7, 2010, at 12:12 PM, Rémi Arnaud wrote:

> I have a question that I think is related.
> I was wondering how web browser are handling, or plan to handle, HDR monitors, and what is the impact on WebGL?

One of the best things about WebGL being part of HTML is that we don't have to deal with these things. We simply need to provide an output image in a consistent color space and the browser's compositor will do the rest. HDR monitors begin to expose the limitations of all current web standards, like the 8 bit-per-component 2D canvas API and CSS color specification. WebGL has no requirement for greater pixel depths either. So all of these things will have to change and no doubt will over time. And when they do we'll have to follow suit. But by then hardware that can handle HDR will no doubt be common enough that we can start requiring greater pixel depths and things like that. But we have no plans to blaze the trail here.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com