On 05/09/2010, at 8:26 PM, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
> It seems to me there are two unresolved questions for WebGL 1.0

I'm not sure that my point was understood, so I'll try again...

When a browser composites an image onto the page, that image is the entire block of pixels. The browser can have simple rules because of that.

When WebGL draws to its canvas, it is using a number of images within the block of pixels. Therefore the number of different images may have different colour spaces and/or gammas.

The additional complexity is coming from multiple images used together, which is not a problem that simply displaying an image had to worry about.

As far as I can work this out, Steve Baker's suggestion of an option to reverse-map back to a linear colour space is the only mathematically valid option.

In practical terms, this would work out to a "WEBGL_MAP_TO_LINEAR" loading time option that doesn't do any work for linear PNGs but does fix up colour space JPGs.

If the option isn't set, then the JPGs are not touched and it's up to the programmer to do what they think is best.

--
  steve@adam.com.au