Re: [Public WebGL] Proposed change to WebGL Event definition

On Sep 3, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've revised the event section (5.14). Please review.
>
> Sorry for not realizing this before, but the "NOT_AVAILABLE" status
> code seems pretty useless, because if the web browser is so old that
> it doesn't support WebGL, then it definitely won't support delivery of
> the webglcontextcreationerror event.
>
> If you buy that argument, then the only two status codes are
> NOT_SUPPORTED and OTHER_ERROR, and I'd argue that nobody is going to
> take programmatic action based on one or the other. Therefore we could
> perhaps dump the status codes completely and just leave the status
> message.

Maybe. I was hoping we could come up with more status codes though. It's nicer to have codes to respond to than just a message which doesn't have any defined format. My thought about the difference between NOT_AVAILABLE and NOT_SUPPORTED was supposed to be that the former indicated that the browser was not allowing you to use WebGL, while the latter said that your hardware just could do it. It allows 2 different messages to be displayed: "your browser does not allow WebGL content, try enabling it" and "your hardware doesn't allow WebGL, get better hardware".

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com