Re: [Public WebGL] Earlier versions of OpenGL ES

The problem is this:

* If you make the specification too hard to implement (and supporting
all of that old fixed function stuff certainly does that) - then fewer
modern devices will support it and WebGL will end up in fewer people's
hands - not more.

* If you try to avoid that and make it so that the standard allows the
drivers to support EITHER fixed function OR shaders - and not require
both at the same time - then the application authors have to support
clunky old fixed function rendering AND sexxy shader-based stuff - even
for the simplest possible applications of the technology...then the cost
of writing WebGL applications will go WAY up - and the compromises to
make applications work both ways will make the quality go down (way
down, actually).   Fewer application writers will choose to put their
software out using it - versus simply shipping regular applications, and
WebGL will fail.

* Sure, WebGL doesn't work on low-end and older cellphones - but it
doesn't run on older desktops - or Babbage difference engines or
abacusses either.   You have to draw a line somewhere.

* If we're engineering a standard for the future, one that'll still be
around for as long as (say) Flash - then looking back at this from two
years into the future when all of those old phones fall off of the
lock-in contracts from the telco's and someone can pick up an ES2.0
phone for $20 (that's what mine cost me) - we're going to be laughing at
the idea that OpenGL ES 1.x was  ever supported.

 -- Steve