Re: [Public WebGL] Earlier versions of OpenGL ES

On Jul 28, 2010, at 4:30 AM, Cauê Waneck wrote:

> We have also to remind that iphones aren't the only mobile devices out there. And there are lots of them that still are OpenGL ES powered. I think in order to be more universal, exposing the opengl es pipeline for those devices would be a great move.

But I think the same rules apply there. I don't believe in the near future we will see many mobile devices that will support OpenGL ES 1.1 and not OpenGL ES 2.0. This is based on information from chip vendors. I'm sure there will be cases of such devices, but like the example of iPhone and iPhone 3g, I believe these will be old designs and so their numbers are unlikely to grow and very likely to shrink.

There is some desktop hardware in the same boat. Older hardware only supports fixed function pipelines and some more recent hardware doesn't support things like FBO's, which are required by WebGL. We leave this hardware in the dust as well. In some cases WebKit will support some of this hardware with a software renderer, which will work but will not perform very well. But like with the mobile devices, you can expect such hardware to become more and more rare as time goes on.

With all that said, I don't think there is anything stopping a group from writing a spec based on OpenGL ES 1.1. But I think such a spec would be separate, just like the 2D canvas is separate from WebGL. Another motivation for not supporting ES 1.1 in WebGL was to avoid making the spec too cluttered with non ES 2.0 features.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com