Re: [Public WebGL] Earlier versions of OpenGL ES

We have also to remind that iphones aren't the only mobile devices out there. And there are lots of them that still are OpenGL ES powered. I think in order to be more universal, exposing the opengl es pipeline for those devices would be a great move.

2010/7/27 Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>

On Jul 27, 2010, at 8:24 AM, stephen white wrote:

> Is there any prospect of WebGL having access to earlier versions of OpenGL ES, for the range of equipment out there like the iPhone 3G that does not have 2.0?

This is in insidious plan by Apple to force people to upgrade their iPhones :-)

> If it were possible to make the API calls, then it could be up to the author to detect and use either shaders or hardware functionality, while still using buffers and vertex lists?

We discussed this and decided against it. The argument is that OpenGL ES 2.0 is the future, so you're likely to see fewer and fewer ES 1.1 devices as time goes on. By the time we get the spec finished, implemented and in the hands of a significant number of people, the number of devices that support ES 1.1 will be a small minority.

This is borne out using the iPhone as an example. We've sold somewhere around 14 million iPhone and iPhone 3G devices. It's likely that some of these are no longer in use because their owners have upgraded to one of the newer models. We've already sold at least 25 million iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4 devices (please don't use these as any sort of official figures, they are all gross estimates derived from Wikipedia). In another year (which is the minimum time needed for any kind of significant deployment) I doubt if more than 10% of the iPhones in the field will not be ES 2.0 capable.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com