Re: [Public WebGL] enabling POINT_SMOOTH symbol?

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Dan Lecocq <dan.lecocq@kaust.edu.sa> wrote:
Hi Andor,

As far as I know, most/all WebGL functions are just wrappers giving you access to the hardware, and some features may or may not be advertised (as in, constants not defined).  If you're sure that they are available on a particular graphics card, you can probably just plug in the constant in place of the symbol.

So, instead of trying to get gl.POINT_SMOOTH, you could supply 0x0B10, which seems to be the constant GL_POINT_SMOOTH is set to.  This sort of approach worked for me with floating-point textures in WebGL, but with points, I'm not sure that points are supported in the OpenGL ES 2.0 spec.  Again, though, you might have luck by using the constant for GL_POINTS when calling gl.drawElements.

Sorry Dan, this won't work on a WebGL compliant implementation which all browsers will soon be.

On a positive note  the particular case of floating point textures I would guess that an official WebGL extension to support them will be near the top of the list once WebGL1.0 ships.

Cheers,
Dan