Re: [Public WebGL] Re: WebGL spec modifications for D3D

Removal of ftransform (because it was there for matching fixed function
transformation) yet still wanting o support multi-pass algorithms was
one of the drivers for the addition of the invariant keyword.

On 09/07/2010 07:26, Kenneth Russell wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Steve Baker <steve@sjbaker.org> wrote:
>> YIKES!!!
>> Lack of shader invarience can be a major headache in many common
>> multipass algorithms.  Without the 'invariant' keyword, we're going to
>> need something like the 'ftransform' function (which I think was
>> obsoleted in GLSL 1.4 and GLES 1.0).
>> Without EITHER 'invariant' OR 'ftransform', some rather important
>> algorithms become impossible - and that would be really bad news!
> Sorry for the long delay in replying.
> The removal of the invariant enforcement was recommended by
> TransGaming based on its not being implementable on D3D9. Perhaps
> someone from TG could comment more on the exact issue and what is
> possible to implement. I agree that its removal seems to preclude
> multi-pass rendering algorithms in WebGL 1.0.
> -Ken
fn:Mark Callow
title:Chief Architect
tel;work:+81 3 3710 9367 x228