Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL Extensions

On May 30, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Cedric Vivier wrote:

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 01:34, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
>> I'm asking because I'm interested in using  GL_ARB_occlusion_query.
>>>
>>> I first thought the Quake 2 demo was using extensions:
>>> http://playwebgl.com:8080/GwtQuake.html
>>>
>>> But then I realized it was probably just listing ones available. Can anyone give me some thoughts on this?
>>
>> There will be no extensions available in WebGL in the first release.
>

> Chris, has something been decided in F2F with regards to the strings
> returned by getString(GL_EXTENSIONS) and similar calls ?
> (iirc this issue was present in the agenda)

I don't have my notes with me. I have wanted to post them, but I've been out sick for the last few days. My recollection is that we won't ever return anything in the GL_EXTENSIONS string. We may even have removed it, I don't remember. We will return an array of strings in getSupportedExtensions() instead.

> Currently WebKit returns the list of native GL extensions, which might
> be confusing to web developers who might then assume that they could
> be used in WebGL as well without a WebGL version of the extension
> specification (as it seems was implied by Andor's question wrt
> ARB_occlusion_query).

Yes, that's a bug

-----
~Chris