Re: [Public WebGL] Compressed textures.

On May 29, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Steve Baker wrote:

> I guess we're more or less limited on texture file types to the set that
> JavaScript generally supports: GIF/PNG/JPG ?  Since GIF and JPG are
> totally hopeless as texture formats and PNG's compression isn't
> agressive enough because it's not lossy, it would be truly spectacularly
> handy if WebGL could also support some kind of compressed format - DDS
> would be best.  (Although it's a bit 'microsofty/D3D-ish' - it's
> actually a REALLY good  format for textures with tons of support out
> there and a 1:1 mapping to the underlying hardware).
>
> Given that we'd like to run on low-end hardware, and even on high end
> stuff, the transmission time from the server is not insignificant -
> also, we don't want to use JavaScript to do compression on-the-fly.

There will be no compressed texture formats supported in the first release of WebGL. This is really proprietary formats rearing their ugly head. There currently exists no compressed texture format that is free of legal encumbrances. If we did support an encumbered format which would work untouched on some hardware (and therefore no expose the browser to legal issues) we would have to decompress that texture in software for use in other hardware which did not support it (which would expose the browser to legal issues). So we've decided to avoid the issue in the first release in hopes that there will exist an unencumbered format in the future.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com