Re: [Public WebGL] Compressed textures.

Hi Steve,

I think you are mixing network file (wire) formats and texture
formats, JPEG is a perfectly fine format to load high-res photo-like
textures as PNG is fine for any non-photo like texture.
In fact these formats are usually lighter in space ("transmission
time") compared to DDS or other compressed texture formats, even in
their most compressed form (e.g 4bpp) without sacrificing significiant
quality.

Of course they cannot be understood by GL as a texture format
directly, so they are decompressed into one of the basic texture
formats (e.g RGB888), considering compressed texture formats are very
specific to hardware/drivers (interop issues) and most of them
encumbered by IP issues of some sort, afaik it has been decided to
postpone compressed textures support to post 1.0 (a thread discussing
this issue: http://www.khronos.org/webgl/public-mailing-list/archives/1005/msg00022.html
)

Regards,