Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL performance...seems like I have no hardware acceleration?!?

On May 27, 2010, at 3:41 PM, Steve Baker wrote:

> Jonatan Wallmander wrote:
>> A dream scenario would be great to have some kind of dev platform in
>> the meantime - some kind of
>> nightly build that is at least performing and working well even if it
>> compromises
>> some design goals - for us end users to tinker with. It'd be worth a
>> lot for webGL having
>> good content when the implementations are stable. Just a thought.
> Well, that would be cool - but I guess if I had a choice, I'd prefer
> that the browser/webgl folks were hammering on getting the final
> solution fast and solid rather than spending time on
> temporary/intermediate hacks for my benefit.
>
> Right now, I can mentally subtract the ~5Mpixel/sec compositing overhead
> from my frame times and/or run in a smaller window to test
> interactivity.  So long as I can be confident that this will 'go away'
> before the mainstream Chrome & Firefox browsers hit the streets - I can
> do my part with the browsers I have today.

if you insist on not coming into the 21st century by getting a mac :-) then you can set your Canvas to a small size but set the element to a larger one using CSS. That will render at the small size and display at the larger. It will give you blocky pixels but should give you a better idea of performance.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com