Re: [Public WebGL] DOMException

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Alan Chaney <alan@mechnicality.com> wrote:
> It seems that following the earlier discussions about DOMException this has
> now been removed from the spec. Ironically, it was there yesterday and I was
> just about to work out what to do with it and lo and behold my problem is
> solved! Its not longer there... :-)

Yes, its continued presence was merely historical and during the WebGL
working group face-to-face this meeting it was agreed to clean it up.

> The corollary of this is that I assume that all "GL" error checking should
> be done with the time-honored gl.getError() call.

That's correct.

> This implies a guarantee that if a call to WebGL function fails because of
> an underlying state issue (for example, if you try to use a program which
> hasn't been linked) then any subsequent WebGL calls will always return
> without updating the error state? Is this a fair assumption?

No. There are conceptually multiple bits (one per type of error) in
the error state, and they are set independently. See the second
paragraph of http://www.khronos.org/opengles/sdk/docs/man/glGetError.xml
.

> There is still one reference to DOMException in the WebGL spec in sec. 5.1
> Types as a typedef. A bit pedantically I'm wondering whether that was
> overlooked, or whether it is still possible that DOMException will find its
> way back into the body of the spec.

Thanks for pointing this out; it was an oversight and has been removed.

-Ken