Re: [Public WebGL] Few questions/comments about context creation attributes

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 06:59, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
> Chris Marrin can probably comment on the decision to enable the
> stencil buffer by default.

Can you comment on this Chris?

On a related topic I've noticed inconsistencies in the spec that  we
should solve anyways between this default, WebGLContextAttributes in
general, and 2.2 :

"By default, the drawing buffer has an RGBA color buffer of at least 8
bits per component and an integer depth buffer of at least 16 bits.
The optional WebGLContextAttributes object may be used to change these
defaults. This object is only used on the first call to getContext."

2.2 says drawing buffer has a depth buffer of at least 16 bits, but
does not say there is a stencil buffer of at least 8 bits by default
as well. We should either  also state that there is a stencil buffer
by default, or not making it default (I support this as not many apps
will use these, and even in that case one would have to enable it
manually with gl.enable(gl.STENCIL_TEST) anyways).

2.2 says an RGBA color buffer of at least 8 bits per component is the
default, this unfortunately limits WebGL implementations on ES devices
to use much more mobile-friendly 565 instead as they see fit. I think
this choice should be left to the implementations and spec should just
say "an RGBA color buffer and an integer depth buffer of at least 16
bits".

2.2 implies all these defaults could be changed when in fact only a
subset of them can be, since we might not expose possibility to change
bits per color component initially.

Regards,