Re: [Public WebGL] Addition of texParameteriv and texParameterfv signatures

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Cedric Vivier <cedricv@neonux.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 05:56, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>> The reason these were dropped from the WebGL spec was that none of the
>> current or foreseeable texture parameters required them. At least in
>> WebKit, they require custom JavaScript bindings to be written, in this
>> case for no good reason.
>
> Oh, being able to write a WebGLbinding to an ES or GL extension using
> these standard signatures is not a good reason enough ?
> I don't understand your strong support for the status-quo on things
> that are obviously good for the extensibility of WebGL while not
> requiring much of an implementation cost in 1.0 (here, since it's up
> to the extensions to actually use/implement these)

This assumption is incorrect. The core WebGL code will not only have
to implement these entry points but also support them for all of the
existing enums and values. See
http://www.khronos.org/opengles/sdk/docs/man/glTexParameter.xml and
note that all of the enums that can be passed to glTexParameter[if]
can also be passed to glTexParameter[if]v.

What is the justification for adding these entry points? I am not
aware of any core OpenGL ES texture parameter, one specified by an
OpenGL ES extension, or any planned WebGL-specific texture parameter
that would require them.