On 2010-05-24 15:25, Kenneth Russell wrote:
I suggest that the best path forward might be to leave the signatures
of the texImage2D and texSubImage2D helpers taking DOM elements as
they are currently. Not adding an internalformat argument would make
it easier to add overloads later which have either this argument or
both internalformat and type arguments. We can tighten up the
specification of the current entry points to guarantee their behavior
across browsers.

What are your thoughts?

Tightening up the spec to ensure compatibility is IMO far more important than saving memory, so I'm fine with just doing that for now. The question is then, do we spec it as always RGBA or RGB/RGBA depending on the presence of alpha? If we go for the latter we also need to specify what "the presence of alpha" means, and I suspect browsers might determine that differently. We have for example on some platforms where blending is slow treated images with an alpha channel consisting of only 255 as opaque.

//Tim