Re: [Public WebGL] Addition of texParameteriv and texParameterfv signatures

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Cedric Vivier <cedricv@neonux.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> WebGL specification does not currently expose signatures for ES's
> texParameteriv and texParameterfv.
>
> I assume the rationale for not proposing them is that none ES 2.0
> pname accepts a float or integer array, hence it just generates
> INVALID_ENUM by default.
> However by that rationale ES would also have removed these signatures
> and since WebGL is designed for being extensible (like his ES / GL
> siblings), I believe it only makes sense to add them in the spec.
> Indeed new pname(s) can be defined by an extension (whether it is a
> binding for an existing ES or GL extension - or a WebGL-specific
> extension).
>

> I propose addition of these signatures in the spec :
>
> void texParameterfv(GLenum target, GLenum pname, WebGLFloatArray v)
> raises (DOMException);
> void texParameterfv(GLenum target, GLenum pname, sequence v) raises
> (DOMException);
>
> void texParameteriv(GLenum target, GLenum pname, WebGLIntArray v)
> raises (DOMException);
> void texParameteriv(GLenum target, GLenum pname, sequence v) raises
> (DOMException);

The reason these were dropped from the WebGL spec was that none of the
current or foreseeable texture parameters required them. At least in
WebKit, they require custom JavaScript bindings to be written, in this
case for no good reason.

If we pursue the addition of WebGL-specific texture parameters, that
would be an argument for adding them. However, I am not convinced that
this is the best direction; I'll follow up on the other thread.