On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 16:25, Tim Johansson <timj@opera.com> wrote:
>> Imho this is a problem in both lack of specification and inefficient
>> texture memory usage by WebGL (just saving RGB DOM images with RGB
>> internal format gives 25% texture memory savings for free, a saving
>> quite significant on limited texture memory/bandwidth devices).
>
> I agree, but if the price we have to pay for that memory saving is
> incompatibilities I don't think it's worth it.

Do you have any incompatibility in mind other than the slight
potential issue with few specific combinations on top of Direct3D I
mentioned ?

(the issue can be totally avoided by disabling conversion on the
troublesome combinations when running on top of D3D, the relative
inefficiency of the workaround is mitigated by the fact these few
combinations are rare and that D3D is not typically used on devices as
bandwidth-constrained as ES's)

> How about binding a texture created from an HTML image to a framebuffer?
> I've never actually bound anything that was not RGBA to a framebuffer so I'm
> not sure what will happen, but I assume it can cause incompatibilities.

ES section 4.4.7 second paragraph defines conversion takes place.
The conversions rule used are once again the same as in the conversion
table proposed, ie. ES table 3.12, GL tables 3.11 and 3.20 (or 3.20/23
depending spec version).

>> Here is a proposal for a section defining conversions performed by
>> WebGL helpers when loading a DOM element into a WebGLTexture :
>> http://neonux.com/webgl/conversions.html
>
> The first paragraph about converting from CMYK is a bit vague, I guess it
> might be OK if we just say all images which are not rgb or rgba must be
> converted to rgba if it has an alpha channel otherwise rgb.

Yeah makes sense :)

Regards,