On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 02:28, Cedric Vivier <cedricv@neonux.com> wrote:
>> Arbitrarily choosing one of the color channels for a grayscale image seems like the wrong way to spec conversion functionality.
>
> This is not arbitrary if you consider that the conversion table fully
> mirrors the behavior of samplers in ES / GL.

Well just remembered I forgot that moreover samplers behavior this is
also how GL defines glTexImage2D conversion in such cases :
"A one-component texture image uses only the red component of the RGBA
color extracted from data. A two-component image uses the R and A
values".

This means with the proposed conversion table WebGL implementations on
desktop could use glTexImage2D directly in some cases (and potentially
benefit from hardware acceleration etc...).

Regards,