On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 01:26, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
> Nice chart, but I disagree that we should use the red channel for luminance. In all cases I believe doing the standard RGB -> Luminance conversion should be done.

Such conversion would happen only when a developer specifically
requires LUMINANCE.
As such the developer intends to load a 1-channel image OR a grayscale
RGB image, which conveniently enough will have red equal to green and
blue by definition.
I'm not sure it is worth complicating the spec and implementations for
the specific case where a developer requires LUMINANCE while not
feeding the system a grayscale image, this most probably mean the
texture is not prepared for alpha|normal|bump map usage but just for
display, which can be done in the shaders directly with more
flexibility.

Regards,