On May 18, 2010, at 3:23 PM, Gregg Tavares wrote:

> So if I understand this correctly the suggestion is a 1 channel PNG will be auto converted to a 1 channel texture GL_ALPHA or GL_LUMINANCE. a 2 channel will become GL_LUMINANCE_ALPHA. a 3 channel image to a GL_RGB and a 4 channel image to GL_RGBA
> So are you adding the requirement that all browsers that support WebGL track this info when loading an img? Or will some browsers that happen convert a 1 channel png to RGB on loading be okay with generating an GL_RGB textures since that's what they have in memory?

If we put this in the spec, we would have to require that all compliant browsers adhere to it.

> It seems like this auto-conversion step is having WebGL extend itself outside of WebGL into the browser spec.
> How about dropping the auto-conversion suggestion and just keeping the explicit conversions?

If by "auto-conversion" you mean the NO_CONVERT option (make the texture match the original image format), that wouldn't provide a solution for X3DOM. On the other hand, you're right in thinking that it lessens the burden on the existing browser image management mechanism if we leave it out.