On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 17:00, Tim Johansson <timj@opera.com> wrote:
> I suspect it might take some time to specify the behavior in a way that does
> not introduce incompatibilities, if we are not prepared to take the time to
> do so I think it would be better to just stick to what we have.

Actually the helpers we have now neither define which internal format
is used when given DOM element source format is RGB without alpha or
has only two channels (eg. PNG type 4) ... at best the spec somehow
implies that everything is converted (and stored) to RGBA by
implementations.

Imho this is a problem in both lack of specification and inefficient
texture memory usage by WebGL (just saving RGB DOM images with RGB
internal format gives 25% texture memory savings for free, a saving
quite significant on limited texture memory/bandwidth devices).

I do not think there is much incompatibilities issues if we define
conversions according to simple conversion rules directly in relation
with those defined in ES table 3.12 and GL spec table 3.20/23, which
is how the data will be accessed from the shaders (samplers always
return RGBA regardless the internal format used).

The only case I can see where inconsistency could happen is with a
shader accessing G or B components from a texture loaded with NONE
from a L or LA DOM source format and WebGL does a conversion _whereas_
it is running on top of Direct3D : in that case, the default value for
G and B components in the shader will be 1.0 instead of 0 as in OpenGL
(see ARB_texture_rg issue 5 and D3DFORMAT).
If that is considered an important issue, we could define that NONE
should only replace internalformat with RGB or RGBA for now, which is
fine for most usages imho and still automatically provides nice 25%
texture memory savings for many DOM images (some PNGs, all JPEGs).

Here is a proposal for a section defining conversions performed by
WebGL helpers when loading a DOM element into a WebGLTexture :
http://neonux.com/webgl/conversions.html

Regards,