On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 05:20, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
> This makes me think that maybe we don't want to reuse "internalformat" or any of its enums at all. Perhaps we should instead call the param "convertTo" or something like that and have a unique set of enums (including NO_CONVERSION) to better distinguish the operation from simply describing the internalformat, as is done in the raw form of texImage2D.

I don't think this is a good idea, this unnecessarily diverge from
both ES (from which the most appropriate pair internalformat/format
can be set through "helpers" like libpng directly ;) ) and GL.
This would also block extensions or future revisions that provide new
formats (issue discussed in the thread "generic texture compression").

Regards,