On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 02:08, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
> I believe that covers all the cases. This assumes that all incoming grayscale images are converted to RGB and alpha is only present if it was in the original source image (which is never for JPG). I think this is the only way we can reasonably support the 1 and 2 channel formats for incoming images.
>
> Comments?

I think all cases are handled... except the current case.
When a developer does not care - or even know [1] - about the format
for the given element, the helper should not perform undesirable
conversion, including in the case of incoming grayscale image.
This means we probably need to define eg. internalFormat=0 :

internalformat/incoming data                    RGB
       RGBA
   --------
0                                                          no
conversion                no conversion

Regards,

[1] : textures provided by user or loaded from a third-party source.