Re: [Public WebGL] Demos fail on my system

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Baffo 32 <baffo32@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:

>>> I did get a bit version-confused trying to upgrade, but ended up
>>> uninstalling my previous version and then checking in the wrench menu
>>> for each new one.  I am indeed running 46847 (verified as you
>>> describe) right now, and the demos are failing.
>>
>> In Chromium, is there a difference in behavior if you use
>> "--enable-webgl --in-process-webgl" instead of just "--enable-webgl"?
>> Note that the in-process flag is strongly discouraged for general use,
>> but is still in place for debugging purposes.
>>
>> -Ken
>
> Yes!  Adding "--in-process-webgl" causes all the demos to render.
> However, for each fixed demo, only a rectangle in the lower-left
> corner is rendered.  See: http://i43.tinypic.com/2dcj09y.png

That's strange. The best explanation I can think of for that behavior
is broken non-power-of-two texture support on your graphics card.
Doesn't really explain why things would be working in Firefox, though
they may use a different technique to set up the WebGL back buffer.

> Additionally, the first time I open a webgl demo in any given tab now,
> windows xp quickly attempts to access all attached drives.  This pops
> up error dialogs because I have unmounted cell phones connected.  The
> tab displays nothing but white until I close all the dialogs, after
> which it displays the demo.

I have no idea why that would be happening. I haven't seen it occur on
any other machines. The WebGL code doesn't work with any files. Does
this happen in the Firefox nightly builds?

-Ken